Thursday, January 14, 2016

Make it with Wool 2016 Wrap-Up

These are highlights of finishing touches on my 2016 Make it with Wool and the complete ensemble from the skirt, up (click images for much larger views)!

Due to the nature of the A-line wrap skirt pieces, I sewed all skirt seams in the directional manner. I obtained really good results when lining up the Pendleton woven pattern at the seams this way.

For the waistband, I 'floated' a length of petersham ribbon between the waistband and waistband facing per Susan Khalje's Build a Better Waistband. The article was printed in Threads Magazine issue #165 February/March, 2013. The image shows carefully sewing the waistband to the skirt without catching the petersham (basted in place) into the machine stitches.


I mentioned in my previous 2016 Make it with Wool post that I used Gail Patrice's Deni-fuse interfacing for the skirt facing with a highly satisfactory result. Here is a detail of the skirt drape:


First image below shows the completely stitched front panel of the corselet. I tipped the bottom end of each bone and slid the stitches down to cut and tip the top end of each bone to length. Afterward, I used needle and thread to secure the crochet stitches to each bone tip. Following photo details the crocheted 'V' channel being sewn into place (by leaving a yarn tail on the crocheted channel that is four times the length of each corselet edge).




Back view of the corselet with buttons and ribbon lacing in place:


I often enjoy using bound edges as a finish, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity on the grand, draping collar of this Vogue blouse! I used self-fabric to finish as such. Following photo shows one of the two mitered corners:




The complete ensemble as shot by Barbara Trainor Photography at the Arizona state final, Nov. 20, 2015!

Nearly forgot the cherry on top! I fashioned this wool 'Gabardinia' from blouse scrap as a little whimsy to wear in my hair. I am afraid it doesn't show up in the angle in which the event photo was made:

No comments: